Thursday 8 December 2011

4a

4a, Initial Questions, Lines of inquiry.


Since finishing Module 1 of the BAPP course I have opened my own Dance School in Portugal, I have also began teaching dance lessons in gyms and teaching teenagers/ adults with disabilities both mentally and physically. 
Throughout Module 1 of the course I mainly focused my work based on my own experiences as a Performer, but as I completed reader 4 I found myself thinking about initial ideas for questions that revolved more around teaching.
I believe my lines of inquiry have taken this new route as I am less experienced as a teacher but extremely enthusiastic to better my knowledge to improve my teaching technique.


Finding a set of questions to use as my initial line of inquiry came to me easily, as I ask myself questions on my teaching technique everyday. 


Dance School
1. How do you maintain discipline/ gain respect as a teacher,  within the lesson? 
2. How is the best way to encourage and motivate children?
3. What changes do I have to make to my teaching technique depending on the age of the children?
4. When it comes to correcting posture of the body, what is/ is not appropriate?
5. How long should it take before I notice some improvement in technique?
6. How do I ensure every student receives the attention they require?
7. How do I  structure a lesson using the time efficiently?
8. When dealing with ranges of ability within one group of children how can I correct the children that are having difficulties whilst keeping them motivated.


Gym
1. In which ways must I change my lessons to be gym appropriate?
2. What are gym members really looking for from a dance class?
3. How much time do I allocate to warm up compared to choreography?
4. Should I expect to see improvement in the participants of the class?
5. If the lesson includes participants of both beginner and intermediate levels which level should I choreograph for?
6. Should I ask if members are getting what they expect out of my lessons?


APPACDM ( centre for individuals we mental and physical disabilities)
1. How is the best way to conduct the lessons safely for both the students and the teachers?
2. How can dance benefit the members of the centre?
3. Do they enjoy dance class? If so why/ why not?
4. What Is the students favourite part of the lesson?
5 How far can we push the students? Ie technique, choreography and performance.
6. Do the carers who work alongside them on a daily basis notice any difference in the students since starting dance lessons?
7. How can I make the one hour lesson an enjoyable experience?
8. What would happen if a student tried to bring harm to themselves, another student or one of the teachers?
9. How are the students reacting towards each other during the lesson?
10. Are the students retaining choreography/ corrections?
11. How can I involve exercises that will help strengthen muscle groups that are weakened within students with certain disabilities?


The 3 sets of questions would all benefit further exploration, but I have decided that I would like to explore the questions I have regarding my APPACDM lesson.
Some of the question I listed from my Gym dance class, and my Schools dance also apply to my APPACDM lesson and can therefore also be researched.








1 comment: