Monday 2 January 2012

Award Title.

The award I seek as a result of doing this programme is BA (Hons) Professional Practice in Performing Arts. 
My rationale for selecting this title is due to the fact that I feel the words ‘Performing Arts’ best fits all of the educational study and work related projects that I have carried out over the past nine years and provides a rounded and informed view of the dance industry.


Reflecting on the many years of experience that I have acquired as a performer, I am able to acknowledge that not only have I performed on stage as a dancer but also as an actress, singer, entertainer, director and costume designer and more recently shown that I am confident in regards to teaching performing arts to both children and adults, within my own stage school.


The title ‘Performing Arts’ allows one to recognise that you are capable of  developing  your original talent and in addition learn new techniques that will enhance your performance. To me this has been achieved through a prior course of study and whilst working as a professional dancer in Portugal. 


Since the age of three it became apparent, to both myself and observers, that dance was my strongest discipline and one that I hoped could be developed further, to allow myself to gain employment within the ever demanding world of entertainment.


The undertaking of my first professional course of study enabled me to recognise that dance, as a single subject, would not secure me a future within the entertainment industry and if I wished to be selected for auditions, I needed to combine my love of dance with performance and come to recognise the history behind the dance techniques that I had acquired and now wished to perform in front of others, on the stage.


Through my previous course of study I not only developed my knowledge surrounding dance techniques and musical theatre but also developed an understanding of related subjects such as anatomy, sociology, media and culture. I was also, through regular performances, able to develop the skills that are sought after by all  of employers, including
· confidence;
· self-presentation;
· teamwork and collaboration;
· time management and organisational skills;
· self-awareness;
· self-discipline;
· an open mind and the ability to move beyond boundaries and experiment with different ideas;
· communication skills;
· analytical, critical and research skills;
· the ability to cope with criticism and learn from it;
· stamina.
These skills, together with my love of dance, secured my future within the entertainment business and as a dance teacher. It has also enabled me to recognise that for those individuals who wish to make it in the entertainment industry, it is important to teach them all aspects of being a performer. This is necessary as it will allow them to build on the skills they already have and develop new techniques that when put together as a package will allow them to participate fully as a performer.

No comments:

Post a Comment